By Jessica Howard
to Do: Major Networking Mistakes
• Don't ignore referrals: Follow-up with networking contacts as quickly as possible; any delay conveys indecisiveness and disinterest.
• Don't push your product or service: Networking and direct selling are two very different things.
• Don't abuse the relationship: Be upfront and honest in your business relationships. Your firm's reputation is on the line.
• Don't rely exclusively on the Internet: Follow-up online contacts with more traditional face-to-face meetings.
• Don't let shyness hold you back: With practice, even introverted individuals can network confidently. A world of opportunity is waiting for you!
Do: Simple Strategies For Networking Success
• Know yourself, what benefits you offer, and what you want. Prepare a "pitch" that concisely explains what your business does and be able to explain the potential benefits of your products/services. Also be able to articulate what you are looking for.
• Be presentable: Your appearance and demeanor represent your firm.
• Be prepared to exchange
• Branch out: Get to know as many members of your networking circle as possible.
This list is by no means exhaustive; as you interact with other business professionals, you will develop social strategies that work for you.